Equipment you will need:
Oster A5 electric clipper
Medicated ear powder
A grooming table can be bought for holding your dog in one place.
However some people manage nicely with a counter top, a rubber mat
and a leash to get started.
1. Clean out the ear by dusting the inside with medicated ear powder.
Gently pull any dead hair inside the ear. (This will prevent ear
2. Trim your dogs toe nails being careful not to cut too close.
Remove only the tips (the white part)
3. Brush out the coat with a good quality slicker brush. Then comb
through to remove any tangles.
4. Bath him and let him dry.
USUALLY I LEAVE HIM UNTIL THE NEXT DAY AND HE WILL BE READY FOR
1. Clipper the hair from the stomach area with a # 10 blade. Clipper
the hair from the rectum to within one inch then use scissors around
the actual rectum area. Never use clippers here.
2. Clear the hair from the insides of the feet with scissors.
3. Using a #7 blade, clip from the base of the skull, down the back
to the base of the tail. Clipper the tail.
4. Clipper down the sides of the neck, shoulder, body and flank,
over the hip line to the hind legs. Clipper the back of the hind
5. Clipper down the chest area and shoulder front (watch how the
hair grows here and follow the contour)
6. Change to a #10 blade
7. Comb the hair on the face forward and carefully clipper from
one quarter of an inch behind the outside of his eye to the base
of the skull. (Top part of face)
8. Clipper the hair from the outside corner of his eye to the base
of his ear. Then clipper down the cheek from the corner of his eye.
9. Clipper the ears clean on both sides of each ear. (Be careful
not to nick the skin and small flaps on the insides of the outer
edges of the ears)
10. Tidy up the edges of the ears with a pair of scissors.
11. Comb the eyebrows forward and then scissor the excess hair between
the brows, creating a “V”
12. Scissor the eyebrows from the outside corner to the centre to
create a triangular appearance
13. Tidy up the beard with thinning shears.
14. With thinning shears tidy up the contour of the body.
15. Tidy the legs with thinning shears blending the hip into the
leg and the front into the chest and elbows. Legs should be cylinder
16. Scissor around the feet to give your dog a neat appearance.
By grooming your own pet you can save quite a lot of money. Pets
love their owners to keep them looking neat and tidy. If you are
consistent with the grooming you also will begin to enjoy the close
contact with your pet.
For the professional look: Stripping
Your Wire Fox Terrier